Marijuana became illegal in the US in 1937, primarily as a tool of racism. That law is still used as a racist tool today.
This year NC House Democrats introduced HB 401 and HB 766. I support both of these. There are many reasons to suggest that marijuana should be legalized both for medical and recreational purposes.
- The “War on Drugs” is a costly and ineffective use of Police assets.
- Marijuana is a superior alternative to Opiates and is less addictive.
- Marijuana is a preferred treatment of PTSD by many military veterans.
- Enforcement of prohibition has disproportionately impacted poor populations.
- Marijuana would be an excellent crop alternative for former tobacco growers, especially in NC.